Spring is the perfect time for getting caught up on that big to-do list but also for spring dental cleaning.
Many people will also take this opportunity to catch up on overdue cleaning, and other personal maintenance that didn’t get accomplished during the winter months. If you’re behind on your oral hygiene, why not book an appointment this spring for your regular checkup?
Most dentists recommend that you pay them a visit at least once every six months. That’s because habitual dental checkups are essential for the preservation of healthy teeth and gums. That being said, it’s equally important that you work to keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy in between trips to your dentist.
Checking for tooth decay and cavities is just a small part of a thorough dental examination. During your appointment, your dentist will also evaluate the health of your gums, and examine your mouth for any indications of oral cancer, diabetes or vitamin deficiencies. Your dentist or hygienist will then clean your teeth and instruct you on the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene at home between visits.
Most dentists will pay extra attention to plaque and tartar. This is because plaque and tartar can build up quite quickly. Food, beverages and tobacco can stain teeth as well. If not removed or treated, plaque can lead to gum disease.
Related: Easter Dental Care Advice for Parents.
There are several important parts to a dental examination:
- Examining the gums
- Looking for signs of gum disease
- Checking for loose teeth
- Looking at the tissues inside of your mouth
- Examining your tongue
- Checking your bite
- Looking for visual evidence of tooth decay
- Checking for broken teeth
- Checking for damaged fillings
- Looking for changes in the gums covering teeth
- Evaluating any dental appliance you have
- Checking the contact between your teeth
- Taking X-rays
Your dental professional will then clean your mouth using these methods:
- Checking the cleanliness of your teeth and gums
- Removing any plaque and tartar
- Polishing your teeth
- Flossing between your teeth
- Reviewing recommended brushing and flossing techniques
Our Edmonton family dental clinic offers Six Month Smiles. Watch the video below to learn more and to book a free consultation.